There are some circumstances in which a woman might need a hysterectomy. The gynaecologist, obstetrician or surgeon – depending on the medical professional’s specialty especially obstetrician melbourne – will surgically remove the uterus and cervix. The procedure may be performed via robotic surgery, which provides a variety of benefits to the patient.
When a total hysterectomy Melbourne is performed, the cervix and the womb are removed. In a subtotal hysterectomy, only the uterus is removed. The ovaries are not removed in either type of surgery unless there’s a specific reason to do so. The advantage of leaving the ovaries intact is that the body continues to produce estrogen and progesterone and doesn’t trigger the body into early menopause.
A hysterectomy may be performed to treat any number of health conditions, though the most common are:
- Heavy or painful periods
- Adenomyosis – a condition in which tissue from the inner lining of the uterus grows into the muscles of the uterus
- Endometriosis – a disorder in which tissue from the inside of the uterus grows on the outside of the uterus
- Fibroids Melbourne – non-cancerous growths in the uterus
- Prolapse – a condition in which the structures holding the uterus or other organs weaken, allowing the organs to fall out of their normal positions within the body
- Endometrial hyperplasia – is a thickening of the inner lining of the uterus
- Endometrial/uterine cancer – a cancer that begins in the uterus
Laparoscopic surgery is the preferred method of surgical treatment and can be performed by the physician via robotic surgery. The benefits for patients are substantial. There’s less pain or chance of infection and healing is faster. Individuals have less scarring, less risk of blood clots and recovery is quicker.
Before committing to any surgical procedure, it’s imperative that individuals ascertain that their gynaecologist has undergone the additional training in gynaecological oncology, minimally invasive surgery and/or robotic surgery techniques. Gynaecological surgeries are complex procedures and a qualified gynaecologist has the skill to minimize the potential for complications.
No surgery should be contemplated lightly. A highly skilled Gynecologist Melbourne will thoroughly discuss a patient’s options with them to help the individual arrive at an informed decision about their treatment. A hysterectomy may be the solution to eliminate pain, eradicate cancer or remove unwanted growths.